Thursday, April 22, 2010

The true face of NIP (nursing in public)

After my last entry on breastfeeding, some of my more modest friends commented on the blog letting me know that they felt like I had misrepresented NIP (nursing in public).  Even though that entry was intended to be a bit over-the-top, I thought it best for the cause to come back and show NIP for what it truly is. 

You can google 'nursing in public' on google images, and come up with a variety of pictures of women breastfeeding in public.  Here are a few of my favs...

This is one of my own.  I was nursing Millie and Natalie was "helping" take care of her sister.

















From http://www.opposingviews.com/




















gotta love this one ;)


http://www.flickr.com/photos/karynsig/821288962/


And a facebook page dedicated to showing a historical view of NIP
http://www.facebook.com/HistoricBreastfeedingPhotos?ref=ts

I also referenced a nurse-out in my other entry and would like to link to the pictures of that here so that you can see what it looks like to nurse in public, en mass.

http://www.facebook.com/HistoricBreastfeedingPhotos?ref=ts#!/album.php?aid=14167&id=112296455456403

I also love this blog post about NIP.  Really on point and just tell-it-like-it-is enough so that there's no wading through sentimental B.S. or the BF vs. FF wars topics.

To my fans (all 4 of you!), I really DO wish to portray breastfeeding in a positive light, but there are only so many hours in the day and most of mine are filled with raising my little family.  If you really want to see what NIP is like, come follow me around for a day and you'll see (or not) how much of me I put out there when we are NIP.  I'm too embarrassed to wear shorts in public after having birthed five children, so there really isn't all that much to see.

In closing, I'd like to remind people who are offended by even the thought of a woman NIP that we are in control of our eyes and our minds.  See what you wanna see, do what you wanna do, be who you wanna be...

No comments: